Tuesday 31 December 2013

[Review] Nogizaka46 - 7th single バレッタ Barrette


乃木坂46's 7th single with first-time and first-ever 2nd generation centre, Hori Miona. There has been a lot of uproar and a lot of cat scratching and name-calling. But I'd say, almost breaking 400k is really something worth celebrating. I (RUBS) would be considered a casual Nogi fan but I do enjoy a lot of their music and I have some members that I definitely keep my tabs on. So please don't hate me if I mention something incorrect about Nogizaka46. Without further ado, let's review  バレッタ.


バレッタ / Baretta Music Video

RUBS
Costume: ★★ 
Typical sailor seifuku. I reckon they could've gone with a cooler costume. But for some reason, the idea of girls in seifuku running around with guns sort of make this PV really badass. The red scarf sort of adds to the image of 'naughty & nice' and of course the uniform helps portray Nogi's image of traditional, pure idols. I like the simplicity of it. The performing costumes are atrocious though.
Dance: ★★★
I was never really fond of Nogi's dances (mainly because I find them quite slow and plain) but this one is quite nice to watch. The little shuffles side to side with the arm up is quite cool but what's with the pulling-your-shirt-up dance move? Another 'naughty & nice' concept I guess. I love the serious facial expressions. I reckon Nogi always add some theatricality towards their singles. Which is awesome! 
Song: ★★★ 
I really like this song! It's my third favourite Nogi song after Seifuku no Mannequin and Kimi no na wa kibou. In comparison to Heart Ereki (as they are similar in genre and released around the same time) I'd say Nogi wins this time round. It's a beautiful song in the perspective of a educated boy? (he reads hemmingway) looking upon a girl with luscious hair and a barrette in her hair. Absolutely nothing of this is reflected in the PV, but since when have any idol PVs known to have done that? The instrumental with the flute and the light drums are a great accompaniment to the girls' innocent voices.  
Overall: ★★★
Very strong title song, especially with that feature film. I reckon Nogi really know how to do a great short drama for PVs. They're always really good! This one is no exception. The plot, the acting and the filming were all well done. The male antagonist is crazy good at making me hate his guts. The story line absolutely repulsed me (which is a good thing) and Ikuchan sucking up being an all round cutie to get what she wants *breathes heavily* also Wakatsuki shooting that bodyguard down made me fangirl so hard! But GUYS you all have to agree that Sayurin was the most badass girl ever! Just look at that cap above! Aki-p sure knows how to make a stir with that ending...I don't think much of Miona, as she's quite plain to me but are they implying she will take over Maiyan's position? I hope Miona is not centre for the next song...

月の大きさ / Tsuki no Ookisa Music Video

RUBS
Costume: ★★★ 
I'm a really big fan of Traditional Japanese culture so these kimonos were absolutely stunning and those ninja outer-wear were really cool too. I think Maiyan looked the best but Ikoma looked badass too.
Dance: 
There was no dance so just ignore the rating. The fighting was super awesome though. I love the silhouetted fight scene and also the "goodbye?" scene between Nanamin and Ikuchan. Why did I feel so doki doki during that part? 0___0"
Song: ★★★☆☆ 
Cool song, but nothing special. This is the OP for Naruto and it doesn't feel very anisong-like but it certainly does give the ninja feeling. I love how it's sort of has a touch of enka to it as well. 
Overall: ★★★☆☆
Really awesome PV. The old-film style with the non-wide screen adds to the authenticity of the genre. Awesome feature film, it feels sort of like a musical when they sing during fight scenes. Again, Miona is the one all alone...seriously Aki-p what's with the hinting messages. Is she going to take over all the 1st gen now? 

そんなバカな・・・ / Sonna Baka na... Music Video

RUBS
Costume: ★★★ 
Purple tracksuits and Japanese Seifuku, What's there not to love? :P This costume works so well with this PV and song. I love this PV and song so much, I don't even care what they wear. I absolutely love Reika, Manatsu and Ikoma's nerdy glasses! Are they supposed to be Idol wotas? Ikomachan is sooooo cute as a wota. I wonder if she actually is one.
Dance: ★★★
Awesome dance! The exaggerated movements and the silly dance moves just add to the hilarity of the concept of this PV and I just love the facial expressions! This is truly great performing from Nogi. The boxing ring dance was epic! I loved the competiton. Seriously this dance is godly (In the comedic form).
Song: ★★★ 
When I first heard this song I was like wow this song sounds so stupid but it makes me laugh especially during "Bakabakabaka bakana" and now I have no qualms with blasting this out of my computer speakers. This is truly an awesome catchy song that you can groove to. I know I've said this countless times but this song works so well with the PV! The honking parts are where I usually cringe a little, but now it's just super catchy and I love it. 
Overall: ★★★
I don't think I've ever liked a Nogi song this much. It's so catchy and upbeat and the PV is flipping awesome. The character playing and the cute close up shots of the girls playing around and smiling at the camera and the concept of an Idol school is absolutely genius. Definitely my favourite PV/Song for Nogi and maybe out of all their songs. Can I just say, Nogi probably does the best feature films out there.

初恋の人を今でも / Hatsukoi no hito wo ima demo Music Video

RUBS
Costume: ★★★
One of the most beautiful Seifuku I've seen in a PV. Ah I wish I could wear this to school. The beige works really well with the white blouse and the length of the dress is perfect for this PV. I also like how the costume is varied with plaid ties and black ribbons. The four buttons at the front remind me of my old, Junior school uniform, except ours had six buttons. I was told that, those buttons represented royalty as that's what princesses wore back in the day.
Dance: ★★★☆☆
I love how this whole single, all the PVs have included a mini drama before the dance. It enhances the dramatic aspect. Anyway, pretty average choreography. But the way they execute is exceptional with the light snow falling (how they do that inside a church? I have no idea) and the smooth cutting to the girls asleep in their chairs. 
Song: ★★★☆☆ 
This is a nice love, ballad song with an upbeatness to it. It lacks arrangement but the chorus is nice. I can roughly translate this song about "still searching for your first love" and I assume thats what Hoshimina was looking for. 
Overall: ★★★☆☆
I'm really glad Hoshimina was able to centre a song. It sort of makes up for being kicked out of senbatsu. Although I'm still quite annoyed that out of all the girls she was left out. This little ksgk is a favourite of mine, and she must have been devastated. Anyway, this PV is really beautiful and hits the right spots in both the film techniques and the girls' performance. Although I'm not sure what the apple represents...
*The following songs below do not have Music Videos


私のために 誰かのために / Watashi no tame ni dareka no tame ni

RUBS
Song: ★★★ 
Another stunning ballad from Nogizaka46. I think I like this one slightly more than Hatsukoi, but they're both in their own right, really superb. I always do enjoy Nogi's ballad songs. It's something about their pure voices. This one is no different. The vocals are at higher-pitched ranges than Hatsukoi and that might be the reason why I like it more, also it's more upbeat. 

やさしさとは / Yasashisa to wa (Theatre)

RUBS
Song: ☆☆ 
Not really fond of this song. Something about the "wo" sounds that ticks me off. Even the instrumental lacks spark. The song is repetitive and too slow for my liking.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think? We value your opinions so please kindly share with us! ^__^